Monday, February 27, 2012

Peru!

 

I arrived in Peru yesterday morning after quite a long journey from Ecuador. Slept in the Lima airport which was quite awful. But arrived in Arequipa to sunshine and snow capped Andes mountains.

The geography is quite different here. Set in southern Peru it is quite dry, and warm. Which is a comforting change to Ecuador. The city feels very much like Spain. Large plazas and all the restaurants you would usually find in a big city: KFC, burger king, pizza hut, starbucks, and so on. A bit weird..

Today was first day up at the school. We cleaned 3 out of the 5 classrooms, hopefully finish up tomorrow and have the rest of the week off.

So I was planning on going to Bolivia after I finished volunteering.. But I found out that there is a $135 entrance fee into Bolivia. Which at my current financial state greatly exceeds my budget. A bit frustrating, because that's where I was hoping to fly out of as well. :/ o well.

 

My new house is alright, I live by myself now.. (no other volunteers)

My host family is actually really nice, gvi has said that the housing here is more just room and board and they don't really include you in the family. My host brother who is 17 is really nice and is pretty fun to chat with. My host mom tries to talk to me and converse which is also pretty cool, because my Spanish seems to have gone into remission lately. It's good to have someone force you to speak and practice..

 

The schedule is a bit more laid back here, wake up at 7 rather than 5:30. And I wont have as much lesson planning since I'm teaching kindergarten.

 

So a lot to look forward to, a few changes.

Enjoying the warmer weather and change of atmosphere.

And look forward to getting to know this new city.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment