Monday, March 12, 2012

Cities and canyons

*note: this post should have been published on Thursday

So I've been putting off writing about peru in great depth until I really had something to say and an opinion on it. Coming up on two weeks of being here, I've begun to experience more of this city.
So I guess I'll start with school. It's been hectic, good.. But hectic. Since its the beginning of the school year for them, it's kind of a weird in between point right now. I was originally going to be teaching kindergarten.. Mostly 4 year olds. But most of the parents forgot to sign there kids up, so that will start next week. So during this time, one of the other volunteers has been painting the kindergarten classroom with some artwork. I have been covering his class, which has been the big challenge. I started with 4 kids on Monday, and today it has grown to 9: 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders. Planning lessons that range all of their grade levels and keep everyone entertained and occupied has been interesting..
Every now and then, I get them all settled and working on something and that right there feels like an amazing accomplishment. Haha

As far as my life outside of school, it's much different being in a big city. After school there's things to do, parks to relax in, and markets to explore.
My host family continues to be amazing. Of the five host families I have stayed with in the past few years in various countries, this one is by far the best and my favorite. :)
I wake up in the morning and have breakfast with fresh bread, hot chocolate, mocha, or some sort of maté. Then when I return in the evening, my bed is made, laundry is done, and dinner is ready with a big pitcher of a warm sweet tea. The food is simple but delicious. There's just simple things that they do or say that just makes them the best host family.

As far as weekend plans! I'm heading to the colca canyon tomorrow morning at 3 am until Sunday. Apparently, it's the deepest canyon in the world. So that will be cool to see. After hiking to the bottom there's hot springs that you can swim in upon arrival, then hike out the next day.
It will be nice to get out of the city and out of civilization. Mini-cation!

1 comment: